Welcome to Make Healthy Fit
I am so thrilled that you have come to visit my site. I’m Michele, and I live in Southern New Jersey. I am also the proud mother and single parent of a beautiful daughter who recently became a Lawyer. Six years ago, I could not have imagined I would be providing you with information about living a healthy lifestyle. I was 115 pounds overweight and began suffering complications of Type 2 diabetes. Today, I am HEALTHY, FIT, and excited to share my success story. My hope is to inspire and help you on your own journey to wellness by sharing what I have learned and how I did it!
In 2013, I was faced with additional challenges along my journey. I started a new job, and began living life on the road 50-75% of the time. Eating out has become the norm for me. I also started back to college causing me to sit behind a desk for hours. The photo below, taken on my 26th birthday, shows that I’ve been doing desk work for years. But now, with adding school into the mix, I fear I’ll be leaving indentations in my usual chairs. So, creating this site has a purpose for me too – it is my personal commitment to always “Make Healthy Fit.”
The Truth About My Lifestyle
I do not make healthy choices every day. I eat cake at every party and indulge a bit on the road, but I have learned how to successfully manage my weight and blood sugar levels without the need for medications. My life is about balancing food choices and activity levels. The best part is – I feel amazing and smile every day when I look in the mirror. I’ve always had a great life filled with loving family, supportive friends, satisfying work, and a lot of fun, but I didn’t realize what I was missing – the things I valued, but couldn’t do or did not pay attention to for a long time. I found an unexpected gift along my journey – a leap from Happy to Joyful! I recently learned, while conducting research for a school paper, most people do not make big changes in their lives until a crisis occurs, such as illness, divorce or job loss. This was true for me. My diabetes began to affect my kidney function. Making small lifestyle changes now is the easiest way to begin your own journey to wellness.
So Here is the Skinny on My Blog:
- Expect a substantial blog post on my site at least once a week. In the meantime, enjoy the information provided throughout my site, including frequent motivational quotes. The quote below has special meaning to me. Never underestimate how your own words or actions can inspire others
In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. -Albert Schweitzer
- The nuts and bolts (or nuts and apples) of my journey are found on the My Story Page; however, you can listen to an overview of my story through an interview conducted by my former employer. The video was taken just a few months before I met my health and weight loss goals; becoming free of my last diabetic medication. Nervous behind the camera, I stated that 2,500 steps equals 4 miles instead of 1 mile. I wish! Four miles is about 10,000 steps for me.
- Music is instrumental in keeping me motivated and moving. Scientific evidence proves the positive effects of music in life and sports, including exercise. I LOVE music. I listen and dance to it every day. I even named my daughter after the Hall & Oates’ song, Sara Smile. So, ROCK your way over to the The Magic of Music section to learn more or just enjoy some of the famous quotes by celebrities!
- My daughter, pictured below, told me that I was her hero and an inspiration. I will never forget those words. It made me think about the influence we have on our children, so I have included links to websites and blogs dedicated to children’s health. The KidsHealth.org website provides information on a wide-range of health and family issues written for three distinct audiences: parents, teens, and young children
- I do not believe there is one way to a healthy lifestyle. I know many people who have achieved success through various diets and lifestyle choices. I will share their approaches through written interviews and by providing links to a variety of wellness blog and website links
- I welcome your opinion, but any comments that are disrespectful may be removed
- My goal is to provide you with helpful and motivational information. Remember this is a personal blog. The information on this blog is based upon research, as much as possible, experience, and opinion. I am not a professional nurse, dietician, fitness expert or doctor. You should check with your doctor for guidance and advice before making any substantial changes in your lifestyle related to diet and fitness
Get ROCKING! Michele